b33znutz

Star Trek Online ScreenShot?

The only way a game will ever be developed by fans will be if you get a software developer that's chock full of fans.

Which I suppose is possible but really, when it comes to MMORPGs - if you're going to make a game of consequence, a lot of the time it's going to be a big, long process that is going to be led by marketing and financial consideration. Which generally means in programming/gameplay terms - the path of least resistance. It's fairly hard to see the game being as good a space sim (well, it's not going to win any favourable comparisons with X-wing vs. TIE fighter...) as EVE (and I'm aware that EVE has evolved considerably - particularly in the type of ships) or as good as vanilla MMORPG as WoW...

Of course, as I mentioned when debate of this game previously occurred - we don't know what they're pitching for yet...

with all do respect to my superior officers, but heres something to bring us back to the topic.

i beleive that the project still exists, and i beleive it is still being actively developed, but with everything that happened, and the movie coming out soon, wouldnt it make sense (from the devs pov) to wait, and use the movies [success] as a type of spring board for the game? if the movie makes money, and is popular enough, it could (and would imo) provide the attention needed from the fans and the various industries it would need to recover from all the, whats the word, bullshit, that the game, the companie(s), etc. have gone through, both in finances and reputation. sorry for the curse there, but i just couldnt censor that part. im rambling i know, but, i think you all get the point.

any thoughts?

-b33z

again, all do respect admiral, vice admiral.

Assuming they got the permission from Abrams and co - and as he's involved, I'm betting he's not going to say "sure, have this for free"... so we should assume that in and of itself this isn't a neutral financial proposition - they'd basically be taking a chance on whether or not the film will be a hit... and there's no reason to assume it will be. Not to mention that they've presumably got a considerable amount of content generated thus far that would probably have to be scrapped or modified to fit in with whatever the new Trek has.

Of course, that's just assumptions... if they went back to the drawing board when the game changed developers, it might not be such a huge amount of effort to integrate the Star Trek XI logistics. Of course, I'd say you're over thinking it. While there are obvious advantages to using the publicity - although I'd say the fact the game has already changed developer is probably a sign that the the chances of it being out in time to cash in are minute... unless they rush it out and we know what happens when people do that.

So... yes, in theory cashing in on the wave of publicity surrounding the film is a good idea but in practice it may be far from a straight forward proposition.

Also, no need for deference to post count. Half the jokers here have post counts in the thousands and still gush over Voyager. Just try and be civil and if you show dereference, show it to well reasoned points, common sense and such.

After all these delays and passings of the buck, I really hope this isn't one huge, epic disappointment.

Not to mention that they've presumably got a considerable amount of content generated thus far that would probably have to be scrapped or modified to fit in with whatever the new Trek has.

im sure there was a lot of that!

Of course, I'd say you're over thinking it. While there are obvious advantages to using the publicity - although I'd say the fact the game has already changed developer is probably a sign that the the chances of it being out in time to cash in are minute... unless they rush it out and we know what happens when people do that.

dude, all i am sayin, is that, with all the talk about how the movie is going to help bring ST to a new crowd. "helping to [introduce] the world of ST to new or younger (or whatever), generation/group of fans. and IMO, if that does happen, a new ST game might fair well being released close to (before or after) the release of the movie. (of course that is if the movie does well enough to support something of that size.)

So... yes, in theory cashing in on the wave of publicity surrounding the film is a good idea but in practice it may be far from a straight forward proposition.

agreed. but still a possibilty.

Also, no need for deference to post count. Half the jokers here have post counts in the thousands and still gush over Voyager. Just try and be civil and if you show dereference, show it to well reasoned points, common sense and such.

honestly, on a personal note, i just like playin the roles is all! hehe...

They announced this one some 4 years ago I think? It was supposed to be out this year I think but they keep pushing it back. Pushing it back post may 2008 might be a risky thing to do. I agree with the above comment that things aren't looking too good for this film. After all, it's only called 'Star Trek', how original is that? Not very.

This game might have been better off if they had just got the game complete and out on the market by now. Waiting for some big break to happen is a bad move and can really hurt and tarnish any future trek game productions. Based on what we've seen so far I'd have to say that their approach is uninspired, weak and doomed to failure.

It's amazing that with a universe so complete as star trek, that they would have creative problems getting this game completed and us buying and enjoying it. Making good games is not that hard, just look at star wars. They've been making these games for what 20 years and still going strong. The way gaming technology is nowadays they can make amazing star trek games off of a rich, vast universe we've enjoyed for over 40 years.