Sign in to follow this  
bbbb

Rome: Total War

What did you think of Rome: Total War and its expansion Barbarian Invasion? I was curious because I recently found a copy of it for sale. Is it a good game or is it overrated?

I only played R:TW and the total realism mod (makes the game a DAMNED cite harder).

R:TW is a pretty enjoyable game, as it goes. If you liked previous efforts, this is more of the same, really.

There are some differences. You don't get the "fast" naval links you previously had, where sufficient ships = instant transport. Now you just have ships that carry people in much the same way ordinary troops move. This is mirrored by armies/troops having "real" positions on the map, rather than just being in a territory - so, you move fixed distances and have barriers (like mountains), which affect battles etc.

As to battles... things are much the same... Obviously you've got a 3D engine now... and additional units. Like elephants, chariots... guys with spears and so on. Obviously, elephants are fairly uber if used right but heavy cavalry is probably still the best because... well, elephants can go nuts. Similar unit limits to previous TW games, which is rather pants, if you ask me.

The strategy element is, again - not dramatically different. Instead of religious penalties/bonuses - you get cultural ones... that's about it...

Is Rome: Total War the game they used on that TV show a few years back where they got a bunch of normal people and put them incharge of an army of sorts and they had to fight it out with a comptuer AI using a game....hmmm

[me=Tablet]goes off and researches[/me]

Time Commanders was pretty hilarious as they had... what was it, 5 people doing what normally one person does.

Shame they axed it, really. I could have watched it all day long.

I never heard of that show. If they used rome total war than it must have been an influential game.

I have heard of that realism mod you mentioned above. Did it change the timeline of the movie to include the struggle of Constantinople against the Turks in the middle ages?

Time Commanders was pretty hilarious as they had... what was it, 5 people doing what normally one person does.

Shame they axed it, really. I could have watched it all day long.

Indeed. That show had potential. Sort of.

Anyway, I must admit, I was never any good at Rome: Total War. I prefer less long-term strategy games.

bbbb - the realism mod I played was for Rome... there's essentially no way you could get to the middle ages... Medieval 2, well... I don't know.

To be honest, TFMF the strategy elements of Total War are pretty streamlined... I mean, really, all there is to do is decide which buildings you want to whack down and how many troops you want to build... although, I suppose by midgame, it can get to be fairly involved.

It's good to some of you have played this one.

Is there micromanagement in the game's later stages?