Sign in to follow this  
Tenebrae

Hitman 4

I was visiting the "real world" (as one does) and happened across a store that purpotedly sold "video" and computer games.

Inside I purchased Hitman Bloodmoney with "money", which I believe is the basis of the "real world".

In any event... I'm trying to play it through on the 2nd hardest difficulty. Bloody hard... or rather, if you want to do it WELL, it's bloody hard. It's also pretty realistic and very pretty.

No more taking a dozen shots to the face and walking away.

I miss area sensitive damage though (ala Deus Ex). where you could actually have your legs wasted and spend your time crawling around until you healed up. Also... it would be nice if when you shot someone, they'd go "Ahhhhh!" Instead of standing there returning fire. I'm no expert but the SOP for getting shot is usually falling down and going "Ahhhhh!"

In any event, the game can be played as a Dr. Shootseveryoneintheface actioner - sure but really, it's all about the patience of a cold hearted murderer. It's not easy though.

Anyone else dabbled?

They're up to the 4th version of this game allready, I vagely remember playing the first and second ones, haven't played any of the others... The first was not so good, the second was a lot better, if they kept on getting better like that, then I'm sure this one will be pretty good! :)

Hitman: Blood Money is a really solid game imho. It's fun trying to get the Silent Assassin ratings on Pro, which is insanely hard. I have managed to do it on 2 levels so far and have a pretty foolproof method for the Opera House :)

It's like a living puzzle game really... there's basically always a method to get the silet assassin rating. Figuring it out is the hard part.

The previous incarnation... Contracts? Was pretty cool. The only thing that irked me about it was they reused a level... Which was a shame.

I do hope we get another Thief game... that's the thing about games, they have (seemingly) a FAR greater probability of matching, or indeed surpassing, their predecessors.

Of course, if you get bored you can just murder everyone... stealth games are on the up and up really.

It seems we have a few more things in common there Tenebrae. The Thief games were a massive step forwards for the genre of stealth action, they created some absolutely stunning environments for the time and of course the character of Garrett was just spot on.

Hitman: Contracts was a cool game and yeah, they did use a few of the levels again which kind of irked me. I like how the 4th is fresh and new! There's actually two ways to get SA so far on the Opera Level it depends on how you want to do it :)

I am also fond of the Splinter Cell series of games too, the last one is still a BIG favourite of mine and has numerous small touches that make it stand out from the crowd. I used to talk to the Looking Glass guys quite a lot back in the day and I really wanted to see them do Thief III and would love to see them reform for a 4th...

RIP Looking Glass for the moment though :(

Looking Glass isn't coming back. Which is sad. It's annoying that inevitably smaller firms get swallowed when they make good games... which naturally culminated in the ultimate irony of Peter Molyneaux leaving Bullfrog because EA bought it out and then having Lionhead products distributed by them... (Black and White - the most overhyped non-fps ever?) In any event, Looking Glass did some stellar work. System Shock 1+2 are probably the Dune 2 or Castle Wolfeinsteins of the stealth genre, as in - games that clearly started the trend but only created the

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory was cool. I should look into getting Pandora Tomorrow. I've heard rumours that they're going to do a film... Clooney :O

For me, Thief 3 was a step forward... and in some respects a step back. Loading zones for the town were unnecessary. The removal of rope arrows was a real shape... The graphics and physics were a quantum leap ahead and I can only see those improving. Having the run of The City was cool though... and I just love the steampunkish feel of Thief, that and Garrett is just the coolest SOB out there... well, him JC, Agent 47 and Sam Fisher are all on a par.

The thing that annoyed me most about Thief 3 was probably the cut scenes. It might seem a silly thing to be pissed about but, there you go. The styling of the original cutscenes was so distinctive though, the mix of animation, shadow play and the occasional bit of CGI. All suited it so well... the use of hamfisted (and plain ugly looking) game engine stuff was just weak.

I think Hitman and Splinter Cell both prove that console/PC spanning games CAN be good. Which I like. Oh, I'm sure eventually maybe 20-30 years from now it'll all be a matter of software and not hardware but for the immediate future, the PC and the console will have to coexist and it oft irks me when the PC loses out or has to wait ages for a conversion. Or when games like Deus Ex 2 are ineptly made so that they're available for both and end up being good for none.

I know I'll never really get over that game not living upto its potential. It's like KOTOR2, you just think to yourself "you had every single possible thing going your way, except the anticipation of fans... and you f**ked it up." My hate will never die.

Looking Glass isn't coming back. Which is sad. It's annoying that inevitably smaller firms get swallowed when they make good games... which naturally culminated in the ultimate irony of Peter Molyneaux leaving Bullfrog because EA bought it out and then having Lionhead products distributed by them... (Black and White - the most overhyped non-fps ever?) In any event' date=' Looking Glass did some stellar work. System Shock 1+2 are probably the Dune 2 or Castle Wolfeinsteins of the stealth genre, as in - games that clearly started the trend but only created the [/quote']

Yeah, Looking Glass folks are all spread through the industry now...it's still nice to think that maybe one day we might see a new Looking Glass though, so I can dream *grin* System Shock 1 and 2 were stellar games as was Deus Ex.

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory was cool. I should look into getting Pandora Tomorrow. I've heard rumours that they're going to do a film... Clooney :O

I found SC: CT cooperative MP to be one of the most excellent advances in team orientated gameplay for a long while, the sheer weight of the moves and the cool factor completely blew my mind. Pandora Tomorrow is a good game, several moves that aren't in CT as well. As for the movie yeah, there's one in the works.

For me, Thief 3 was a step forward... and in some respects a step back. Loading zones for the town were unnecessary. The removal of rope arrows was a real shape... The graphics and physics were a quantum leap ahead and I can only see those improving. Having the run of The City was cool though... and I just love the steampunkish feel of Thief, that and Garrett is just the coolest SOB out there... well, him JC, Agent 47 and Sam Fisher are all on a par.

I agree, those loading zones totally and utterly sucked. For example SC and PT have levels that load, but they load in segments on all formats...Chaos Theory was the first SC game that blew that off on PC and Xbox, they made the whole level available and the number of tactical options increased dramatically. The graphics and physics were definitely an improvement in Thief 3...the whole city idea as a hub was good, but I would have preferred a large city with no loading heh.

The thing that annoyed me most about Thief 3 was probably the cut scenes. It might seem a silly thing to be pissed about but, there you go. The styling of the original cutscenes was so distinctive though, the mix of animation, shadow play and the occasional bit of CGI. All suited it so well... the use of hamfisted (and plain ugly looking) game engine stuff was just weak.

Yes, the cut scenes in the Thief games had their own distinctive style and the in-engine stuff in Thief 3 totally blew it for me. It is one of the things I can't stand unless you have a damn good engine behind you.

I think Hitman and Splinter Cell both prove that console/PC spanning games CAN be good. Which I like. Oh, I'm sure eventually maybe 20-30 years from now it'll all be a matter of software and not hardware but for the immediate future, the PC and the console will have to coexist and it oft irks me when the PC loses out or has to wait ages for a conversion. Or when games like Deus Ex 2 are ineptly made so that they're available for both and end up being good for none.

There are some rare console gems that make it to the PC. The conversion of the recent Monolith Xbox 360 hit Condemned comes to mind, that game is excellent on both formats. It irks me as well when the PC looses out on a really good console title that has actually done a good job on something like the Xbox/360.

I didn't like Deus Ex II to be honest.

I know I'll never really get over that game not living upto its potential. It's like KOTOR2, you just think to yourself "you had every single possible thing going your way, except the anticipation of fans... and you f**ked it up." My hate will never die.

Yep, both Deus Ex and KotoR are games that unless someone puts a lot of time/effort into the sequels, will never be beaten for their sheer gaming joy. I have my eye on Bioware's Mass Effect for the 360 and so hope they'll port that to the PC eventually.

Bioshock also looks good for the PC and it's on this game that I hold my System Shock 1 and 2 style hopes, but we shall see...meanwhile I'll be drooling over Spore and Supreme Commander heh.

Oh, buggery... I lost my post :|

I think it was mostly... I agree. Deus Ex 2 was a travesty...

Bioshock looks cool and Spore and Supreme Commander... well, they can prove themselves as they've both promised so much.

It's pretty good, gives a good idea what the TA sequel is going to be like in terms of large scale maps/confrontations and OTT weapons/units.

Apparently the Xbox 360 version of Hitman 4 has a secret achievement (kill 47 people on any mission) -- I shall be attempting to work this one out *G*

What's the defining factor of silent assassin?

I did Vineyard... and all I did was KO a guard, is even that not allowed?

I usually can do the Vineyard with Silent Assassin.

The trick is knowing that as long as it is considered an accident, it won't harm your SA rating.

So, you can often follow the patrolling guard on the left, wait for him to look over at the waterfall and shove him over the edge, accident number one.

Return to the broken truck, quickly, climb that and drop in through the hole in the roof. KO the worker standing there (if you time it right) and steal his costume, hide the body in the freezer/trunk.

This makes it easier to get your suit back at the end of the mission.

From there you can proceed a number of ways.

The target in the white suit often visits his balcony after playing his cello, so, shove him over, KO his sleeping guard and steal his uniform and gun. This also makes a great disguise for wandering around in the drug lab.

To take out the son, you can push the guard from the top balcony over when no one's looking at hide the body behind the barrels, set a bomb on the mechanism and wait until there's no tour down in the wine cellar. That way when junior goes to inspect the area under the suspended crates/barrels you can blow the explosives and high tail it through the drug lab before people get too suspicious.

I often use a pistol and take a human shield as the quickest and safest way to knock out guards/workers and it saves on syringe KO drugs.

Do you have to retrieve the suit? Or is that just another mark of pride? And HOW do you do it on Vineyard? Is there another way to get to the plane other than the drug lab?

You can actually avoid KOing guards entirely. If you go with the tour, there is a window of oppurtunity to run in and steal a worker's uniform in the drug lab.

Accidents are definitely the way to go... I think there is also a narrow window of oppurtunity to plant the bomb without killing the guard. It could be the fact I toss a coin but he always seems to wander away about 20 seconds before the pink shirt wearing chap goes to stand under the crates.

Regardless, though the alert level goes to mind yellow. I would have done that level just fine but for the fact I got spotted coming out of the 2nd floor window. Bah, Proffesional... Still trying to work out how to do Curtains Down.

I can give you a pretty foolproof way on Curtains Down :)

That's my mission *grin*

If you play on a higher or Professional level difficulty. You need to remove the suit so that the company doesn't have to charge you for the cleanup.

There's definitely another way to get to the plane other than the Drug Lab.

Where the broken truck is, down by the waterfall, if you move to the right at the base of the Don's Hacienda you should find a wooden walkway and a way down.

Curtains Down:

Weapons needed none.

Enter the lobby and go to the left, talk to the receptionist and don't skip the scene. You'll get the real WWII pistol.

Go into the toilet, wait for the tech to come in, KO him however you like, steal his clothes and dump him in the box.

Grab the toolbox from outside and don't go left, go right and down the stairs through the back door there. Work your way around and you'll come to a locked door, pick the lock when there's no one around and you're now backkstage of the area. On your right should be another door that leads up to where the actor's dressing rooms are, as well as the whole lighting rig area.

Walk casually around the guy who's sitting guard on the chair outside the main target's room and go into the big double doors on your right. Go up the long metal stairs and up above the stage, watch out for the tech up here and work your way to the door at the back. Once there go through and if the tech is following you, wait a bit until he goes away. When there's no one around plant the bomb on the mechanism and return back to the double doors at the bottom.

Depending how quick you are, you might do all of this fast enough to just catch the actor who shoots the target with the fake gun going in to his dressing room. Hang around by the double doors and watch for him to go in if not, he'll stay in there then come out to go to the bathroom. This is your time to act, move towards his room and enter it.

Take the fake pistol and quickly replace it for the real one.

Hide the real one and leave, go back to the double doors and return to where you planted the bomb, being careful of the other techs.

Carry on past where you planted the bomb and go down the ladder, you need to work your way around to the right hand side or left and you'll find a hole, go down the metal trellis and you should now find a nice viewing spot whilst crouched where you can see the stage. Move to the far right though, because you want to be able to look down below the chandelier.

The perfomance will continue and eventually the target is shot by the actor with the real WWII pistol...

A few moments later his buddy will react as he sees his friend die and then he and his guards will come running down, by now you need to have the remote in your hand!

The dude will run and trip, as he trips, blow the bomb and the chandelier will come crashing down - target #2 silenced.

Creep back to the metal trellis and climb it.

Leave via the ladder and be careful of the other tech, he might be around, come back down the metal stairs and leave the top floor exactly how you got there. Aka, go left from the double doors, past the guy on the seat, down the corridor and now right, retrace to the other door and go left back to the door there and up some steps, the door you picked the lock on is already open. Be casual but work your way through here, up the stairs on the right and back out into the lobby.

Into the toilet from here, get your Suit back and leave the Opera House.

If you do it right, Silent Assassin is yours and you won't need to break a sweat.

Yeah, not done a great deal of Hitman because I need to restart after I play Planetside (pisser) and I didn't read your spoiler... because, Hitman is essentially a puzzle game and any puzzle worth solving is worth doing on your own.

Curtains down is an immensely satisfying one and a good "accident" one, really. The substituted weapon, the falling lights... beautiful in its simplicity. It's in fact entirely possibly to be on the ground floor by the time the Ambassador reacts. There is a huge window. Even if you do the gun first. Very easy to run back in time to detonate it on the ground floor. Nasty "accident".

Yeah, Curtains Down (so far) is hands down my favourite Hitman mission yet.

There are a couple of ways to do it as well, I was experimenting with various methods and if/when you get the upgraded sniper rifle...you can have a laugh with that silenced gun.

Murder of Crows blew me away... I honestly never thought you could get THAT many people on screen at once. I mean, there must be hundreds of NPCs on that level. It really was pretty awesome. That and death by piano...

It's nice that there are multiple ways to do a mission (on A New Life, I started out by putting a mine in the catering tray and then BOOM... It was my intent to kill the mark with that but that proved impossible but it did get the guards off the doors and let's you get in and steal a uniform... what was up with the guy sniffing panties?)

Hitman really does let you appreciate the beauty and elegance of the perfect hit though. Also, it's nice that there are things about the plot of the game dropped in throughout the missions.

lol this game sounds good gonna have to gets me a copy... played the first 2 of hitman long ago :)

Anasthetic? Man... I wish they'd just give you a tool box of poison and knock out stuff, it's kind of annoying you have to find things on the level.

Yeah, mega - it's a good game. Contracts was ok... but this is a lot better. The upgrade/notoriety thing is really cool.

I just ignored the panty sniffer, I just did that level cheap and nasty.